According to Jean van Heijenoort, the sad state of logic in France after WW2 was largely caused by the untimely death of several key French logicians/mathematical philosophers.
Prepping for my course on the history of mathematics, starting next week, i’m trying out a couple of tools, such as Timeline JS. Below, a mini timeline of the deaths of these 5 unfortunate mathematicians.
- Where’s Bourbaki’s tomb?
- Brigitte Bardot, miniskirts and homological algebra
- Grothendieck’s gribouillis
- Grothendieck’s gallery No. 154
- Where are Grothendieck’s writings? (2)
- Grothendieck’s gribouillis (4)
- On categories, go and the book $\in$
- Grothendieck’s gribouillis (2)
- according to Groth. IV.22
- the Riemann hypothesis and 5040